Monday 5 December 2011

My Life In Pictures

The old city through the gate, and Doi Suthep mountain beyond.
 PHOTO DUMP!

I've posted pictures of special things and events before, but here are some random shots of my everyday life.  (And food.  Lots of food.  By request.  Sapna. :))  Enjoy!


This is Thae Pae Gate, the eastern gate into the old city of Chiang Mai (and the gate nearest to me).  You might just about recognise it from the Loy Krathong photos - this is where the lantern garden was.
My flat.  Sorry about the mess - I took these in the first couple of days I was here.  You can see the former Kettle O' Doom on top of the fridge there.  Once it passed from providing hot water and punishing electric shocks to JUST doing the shocks, I retired it. :)

Picture display on the side of my wardrobe.  Check out the Hampstead Players' Fiddler on the Roof flyer on the lefthand side there.  Awesome design!  By the way, the long sheet is a set of Undead Alert Cards, so that you can keep people informed about your zombie-infection status.  I am currently at Threat Level Blue - In No Way One of the Living Dead.
View from outside my front door.

Shower lizard lives right outside my shower!  (Finger provided for size reference.)



 Foodie section of the post!  Above, the way I get most of my meals these days - in a plastic bag from the local market (or from the noodle stand near my house).  Top, fish with rice and cilantro.  Left, another Thai staple - panang with sticky rice.




Guilty pleasures section:  Above, market-stall fried chicken and fishcakes.  Left, chocolate eclair (15 baht - that's about 30p - from the market, but you can only get them rarely).

10 comments:

  1. Little lizards! Like India!

    But, uh oh...any roaches? Large spiders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely HUGE roaches (I've only seen them on the street so far, not in my flat, thank GOD), along with rats the size of terriers (ditto). I've only run into medium-sized spiders (being in such an urban area probably helps)... touch wood.

    Yes, the lizards remind me of Kerala! I've even started naming them the way you did. In addition to Shower Lizard, I have Balcony Lizard, and the Stairwell Lizard Brigade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the lizards. Would not be so fond of roaches and rats, however.

    Food looks awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next up: lizard in a bag?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lizard in a baaaaaag!

    It has to happen. I can carry it around in a bag with me and it can be my trusted advisor/flycatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So any time anyone asks you anything, you can hold the lizard up to your ear, get a look of deep concentration on your face, and say, "what's that, Henry? ... uh huh ... riiiight ... okay ..." before turning to the person and saying, "I'm sorry, Henry and I are going to have to disagree with you on this one."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I DO NOT KNOW WHY HE IS CALLED HENRY, BY THE WAY, BUT HE TOTALLY DEFINITELY IS.

    I think I should go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HIS NAME IS SO HENRY NOW.

    I think that's the perfect way for me to work around any cultural differences regarding open disagreement, by the way. "It's not that *I* disagree with what you're saying. It's just that Henry, well, you know, he's more experienced in these areas..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the traditional anthropomorphised companion creature was a cricket? Huh, so Disney isn't always right...who knew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, it's hard being a grownup and learning these things, but you will survive.

    ReplyDelete