Tuesday 15 November 2011

*preen*

I had the most awesome moment today.

I'd had a pretty productive morning (not work, unfortunately, just admin stuff - went to the consulate to get some paperwork for my driving exam, then to a Thai language school on the other side of the city to register for classes, so that I can transfer to a student visa), and after lunch (I broke and splurged on a pizza, since I was at the touristy end of town - and by "splurged" I mean £5 for the meal), I got into a song tao heading back towards the office.  I negotiated a price with the driver, then climbed in the back, where two teenaged girls were sitting.

Keep in mind that I'd said all of four things to the driver:  "Hello", ("Sawadee kha,"), where I was going, "How much?" ("Tao rai kha?"), and a counter-offer to the fare he named, and that my accent is still horrific.

As soon as I got in, the girls started whispering to each other.  Finally, one asked me, "Where are you from?"

"I'm from the US."
"Oh, the US."

*whisperwhisper*

"Why can you speak Thai?"

Ka-CHING.

I broke out in a big, stupid grin, and tried not to look too smug as I told them that, really, I can only speak a little Thai.  Then I gloated all the way home. :)

2 comments:

  1. If you've picked up enough to fool people already, imagine what you'll sound like in a year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so! I'm so looking forward to Thai lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete